Rear Admiral Jayantha Kularatne
REAR ADMIRAL JAYANTHA KULARATNE, RSP and Bar , USP, psc, MSc (D & SS), DIP CR
Rear Admiral Jayantha Kularatne NRX 0397 was born on 16th January 1969 and studied at Mahanama College, Colombo. He excelled both studies and sports at the college. He was a senior Prefect, member of college cadet platoon and member of college athletic pool.
Rear Admiral Jayantha Kularatne joined Sri Lanka Navy on 15th June 1987 and had under gone basic training at the Naval and Maritime Academy, Trincomalee. He was commissioned as an Acting Sub Lieutenant on 15th June 1989. He had followed his Sub Lieutenant Technical course at the Naval & Maritime Academy, Trincomalee in 1990. He had qualified in Long Navigation and Directions at the Navigation and Operations school, Pakistan Navy in 1999/2000.
He had successfully completed the Defence Services staff Collage, Wellington in India in the year 2004/2005. He holds a Masters Degree in the Defence and Strategic Studies from the university of Madras in India and a Diploma in Conflict Resolution from the Bandaranayike Centre for International studies in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
He has been awarded Rana Soora Padakkama (RSP), a gallantry medal twice for his bravery by the President of the Sri Lanka. He has also been awarded Uththama Sewa Padakkama (USP), for his unblemished character of his career by the President of Sri Lanka. In addition to above, he has been awarded with following medals;
- Sri Lanka Navy 50th Anniversary Medal.
- Sri Lanka Armed Services Long Service Medal.
- 50th Independence Anniversary Medal.
- East Humanitarian Operation Medal.
- North Humanitarian Operation Medal.
- North and East Operation Medal.
- Purna Bhumi Paddakkama.
- Rivirasa Campaign Service Medal.
His sea commands include 02 Fast Attack Craft (OIC of P 453 and P 462), 02 Shanghai class Chinese Gun Boats (Commanding Officer of SLNS Ranadheera and SLNS Ranarisi) and the Commanding Officer of a Fast Missile Vessel (SLNS Suranimila).
His major shore appointments are as follows,
- Commanding Officer – SLNS Parakrama (Administrative Base of NHQ)
- Commanding Officer – SLN Dockyard (Naval Dockyard, Trincomalee)
- Staff Officer Operations (West)
- Senior Staff Operations Officer (NHQ)
- Assistant Officer Training Officer – Naval & Maritime Academy
- Deputy Training Commander – Naval & Maritime Academy
- Contingent Commander (Silawathurai and Mullikulam)
- OIC – Naval Detachment Nagathewanthurai
- Deputy Director Naval Administration (NHQ)
- Director Naval Administration (NHQ)
- At present he holds the appointment of Commodore Sea Training (CST) of the Sri Lanka Navy and responsible for Fleet Training.
His foreign visits and training include to Bangladesh, India, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan and USA in various capacities. He was promoted to the rank of Commodore in the year 2016. He is a recipient of three Commendation letters from the Commander of the Sri Lanka Navy.
He is married to Mrs.Udeni Kularatne who is a House wife and is blessed with a son who is schooling yet.